Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: ECHOLINK COMMUNICATION- ( AP2ZAF) FAISALABAD

ECHOLINK COMMUNICATION 14 years 7 months ago #96

• Riffad Khan AP2RF
  • Senior Boarder
  • Excellence Combining Expertise
Hello

can anyone guide me , what we learn in ECHOLINK EXPERIMENT?

We are going after it because it is free and easy to connect with internet?

If we are looking for a chat forum we can go , yahoo , hotmail , ICQ , MIRC ………….

I am not against ECHOLINK nor I am one who says : Grapes are Sour.

But the thing I need to know from it is what we get technical out of it ?

Does it define true sprits of Amateur Radio ?

Any role In Disaster ?

If we have fast internet access at any place do we still need a radio ..... how funny isn’t it ?

We need to go for real technical education , we should learn electronics , semiconductors and future technologies.

Secondly we don’t have such Voice bandwidths so common that a common man can get access to it.

I can understand that we have limited times now for Hobby thats why many of us avoid experiments and find narrow escapes or finally we have tight budgets for hobby. That does not mean we should start to change the shape of Hobby as per our convenience.

Lets spread Technical radio education that our nation actually require , don’t forget ARRL still publish HAND BOOK and their first Chapter always say learn radio basics. May be at the end of the book you can find ECHOLINK.

73s

AP2RF
Muhammad Riffad Khalid
AP2RF
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:ECHOLINK COMMUNICATION 14 years 7 months ago #100

NO COMMENTS

ap2gh
Ghulam Hussain (AP2GH)
Mobile : 0300-8666169

Re:ECHOLINK COMMUNICATION 14 years 7 months ago #105

• Asad Khan AP2ASD
  • Senior Boarder
  • This is my picture from 1982/83.
Dear AP2RF,

Please see below my comments ***.

***You play around with VoIP technology.

***Right. You still need a call sign though.

If we are looking for a chat forum we can go , yahoo , hotmail , ICQ , MIRC ………….
***Echolink is not a forum. MSN has discontinued its chat rooms.

***Cool!

***Worldwide junk-free communication with fellow hams at the cost of a computer and the internet.

***Not quite.

Any role In Disaster ?
***Probably...

If we have fast internet access at any place do we still need a radio ..... how funny isn’t it ?
***I hear this only from non-hams. My reply is always the same; Radio is not intended to substitute another form of communication and vice versa. Like they say, "when all else fails..."

We need to go for real technical education , we should learn electronics , semiconductors and future technologies.
***Don't know.

73's
KC2VOB

Re:ECHOLINK COMMUNICATION 14 years 7 months ago #107

• Riffad Khan AP2RF
  • Senior Boarder
  • Excellence Combining Expertise
Dear Asad Bhai

Thank you for your comments , I have highlighted my comments.

***You play around with VoIP technology.
--- Your answer is “PLAY” , my question was what we learn ? So no learning other than “PLAY”?
Yes If ECHOLINK teaches us what is VOIP , how it works , what are its protocol , how to configure VOIP then it sounds learning otherwise it is only “PLAY” that actually don’t reflects amateur radio.
May I Know …what VOIP configurations we do in ECHOLINK ?
Audio in , Audio out and PTT ….. this is VOIP ?
VOIP is a complete subject and in ECHOLINK we don’t even learn “V”.
www.fring.com download it and install in your WIFI Capable mobile phone and PLAY with VOIP through WIFI and WIMAX , let me know if you enjoy more than ECHOLINK or not . Don’t forget we don’t need a Radio.

*Right. You still need a call sign though.
--For all chat and online forums you still need to go for self introduction and registration…. Right ?

***EchoLink is not a forum. MSN has discontinued its chat rooms.
--The current best online forum is Yahoo , you can find all kind of topics there ………. Forums somehow sounds sharing of experiences and knowledge since you said ECHOLINK has no forum so
may I consider it CHAT with Voice ?
so Skype , MSN , AOL , Yahoo provide same features and sound much better and easy to install ---- isn’t it ? So why we need a radio ?
we should go for a portable PC or PSP or a mobile phone to play and enjoy more conveniently …am I right ?

***Cool!
That’s true, I used best ECHOLINK systems in the world that are TM-V71A + TM-D710A + PG-5H and FT-7800R with Signalink USB …… I just made it active for few days , experimented it and finally closed.

***Worldwide junk-free communication with fellow hams at the cost of a computer and the internet.
Join any type and any kind of forum at Yahoo , ask any question and share your issues and problems with the forum and the whole world will be available to answer you in a much better way .
In ECHOLINK you will find Junks in Thailand and many other Asian countries , by the way mostly users don’t attend AP land calls .

With due apologies form PARS members , I would like to share my listening experience from a LOCAL ECHOLINK setup made by one of our HAM FRIEND ….. a BRITISH station was calling and our brother have no words to share with him in English . We don’t know how to speak English and respond to them in a fluent way . In Radio we can at least say 5-9 , 73s ……..

Any role In Disaster ?
***Probably... -NO role at all.

This is the education that our nation need for their survival . The enemies of Pakistan actually want us to PLAY and remain busy in PLAY.
Asad Bahi you are living in such a country whom I consider the paradise for Amateur Radio …. Kindly let me know what you can do for us …?
Can you assist PARS members who believe in experimentation? We have many talented brains here who are helpless due to non availability of components and technical material ….. can you help ?

Secondly we don’t have such Voice bandwidths so common that a common man can get access to it.

Lets spread Technical radio education that our nation actually require , don’t forget ARRL still publish HAND BOOK and their first Chapter always say learn radio basics. May be at the end of the book you can find ECHOLINK.

Final words : There is no problem to go for ECHOLINK experiments on individual basis …..but we cannot focus or rely on that.
Muhammad Riffad Khalid
AP2RF

Re:ECHOLINK COMMUNICATION 14 years 7 months ago #110

• Asad Khan AP2ASD
  • Senior Boarder
  • This is my picture from 1982/83.
Riffad Bhai,

My answer was ‘play around,’ not ‘play.’ Echolink doesn’t teach, you only use it. That’s why I said earlier you play around with VoIP which would be more of computer science, I believe. From reading your last reply, however, I conclude that your thread was irony but I thought you were kicking out of the radiosport.

Speaking if myself, I’m not into Echolink and repeaters because they are owned by other individuals. It’s simplex that lets you measure the efficiency of your equipments. A distant station would be coming in S1 and you will want to make it S2. That’s the challenge!

American hams are so much courteous and friendly that we buy & sell on QTH.com to help another fellow ham clean his shack. I ordered a programming cable from Hong Kong and the seller declared it as gift on the customs form to help me avoid duties given that they are retailers, not even individuals. On the other hand, when you put out your radio for sale, this guy was raising legal concerns and that freaked the hell out of me. A Pakistani brother was trying to cripple another brother’s sale. You see what the contrast is?

Last week I sold my Kenwood TS-480HX to a Jewish gentleman after I stopped short of posting it on PARS website when I was discouraged by this guy lashing out at you. I just deemed it convenient to sell it on QTH. I bought it for $1,100 and sold it for $850. Never got around to use it. It was all like new with original box and wrapping.

These days I have an Icom IC-208H and a RadioShack Triple Trunking Scanner PRO-2155 that must find a new home. They are in excess of my needs. I don’t know if I can put them out here because I don’t have my PTA license yet.

I’ll sure help PARS member get what they need. You can place order with any U.S. supplier and I can deliver it to Islamabad when. I come to Pakistan for Eid, Insha Allah.

73’s
KC2VOB

Re:ECHOLINK COMMUNICATION 14 years 7 months ago #111

Well dear Asad (KC2VOB)

Nice to see your reply this morning in good sense.
I Hope all members will do and think like you.

Good Luck

ap2gh / Hussain
Ghulam Hussain (AP2GH)
Mobile : 0300-8666169
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds